Friday, September 21, 2012

GENDER "Roles": Male and Female

I read "The Impact of Pervasive Beauty Images on Black and White Girls' Self-Concepts", by Melissa Milkie and "Varieties of Masculinity in Male Cheerleading", by Eric Anderson. Both of these pieces were very insightful of how both male and female regard image as important. As a female, it was no surprise to see how the young white females compared themselves to what they felt were unrealistic images of women but, still felt compelled to because of pressures of their peers. What was most interesting to me was that men were exactly the same in how they internalized the importance of image and self-perception. Anderson teaches us that men just measure themselves by a entirely different scale however the insecurities are still there when their masculinity is put into the equation.

It was interesting to see into the minds of some of these guys who felt like doing anything that might be considered as feminine was labeled as gay. I felt a bit guilty because as a mother, I sometimes drive this idea into the mind of my step-son. If he swishes his hips in a dance, I would call him on it. Don't get me wrong, I have no offense against him doing so. I allow him to play dolls with his sister or whatever other "feminine" games and activities he might want to try. I try hard not to label things as masculine or feminine. However, my concern is for how he carries himself outside. It's easy to say that you don't care about such gender roles, however, he is in junior high and I know that certain behaviors can label him and destroy his self esteem if the kids poke at him. So I feel a bit torn. Part of me says, "who cares what other people think of you", while another side says, "be careful you don't want people to make fun of you."

It was also interesting to see how much of a learned behavior it actually is and made me think of the gender role stereotypes I unconsciously instill in my kids. I did feel less guilty when I saw that some of that gender roles thinking can be changed. When some of the "macho" thinking males join the cheerleading squad, their trained perception of women and of homosexuals actually changed to be more open and accepting of both groups. And that they did not have to sacrifice their masculinity to do so.

2 comments:

  1. Okay these are a good start. Please fill in the missing entries as soon as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a safe & effective Natural Herbal Medicine. For Total Cure Call    +2349010754824,  or email him   drrealakhigbe@gmail.com       For an Appointment with (Dr.) AKHIGBE contact him. Treatment with Natural Herbal Cure. For:Dengue Fever, Malaria. Painful or Irregular Menstruation. HIV/Aids. Diabetics. Vaginal Infections. Vaginal Discharge. Itching Of the Private Part. Breast Infection. Discharge from Breast. Breast Pain & Itching. Lower Abdominal Pain. No Periods or Periods Suddenly Stop. Women Sexual Problems. High Blood Pressure Chronic Disease. Pain during Sex inside the Pelvis. Pain during Urination. Pelvic Inflammatory Disease, (PID). Dripping Of Sperm from the Vagina As Well As for Low sperm count. Parkinson disease. Lupus.  Cancer.  Tuberculosis.  Zero sperm count. Bacteria Diarrhea.Herpatitis A&B, Rabies. Asthma.  Quick Ejaculation. Gallstone,  Premature Ejaculation. Herpes. Joint Pain. Stroke. Weak Erection.  Erysipelas, Thyroid, Discharge from Penis. HPV.  Hepatitis A and B. STD. Staphylococcus + Gonorrhea + Syphilis. Heart Disease.  Pile-Hemorrhoid.rheumatism, thyroid, Autism, Penis enlargement,  Waist & Back Pain.  Male Infertility and Female Infertility. Etc. Take Action Now. contact him & Order for your Natural Herbal Medicine:  +2349010754824  and email him    drrealakhigbe@gmail.com    Note For an Appointment with (Dr.) AKHIGBE.I suffered in Cancer for a year and three months dieing in pain and full of heart break. One day I was searching through the internet and I came across a testimony herpes cure by doctor Akhigbe. So I contact him to try my luck, we talk and he send me the medicine through courier service and with instructions on how to be drinking it.To my greatest surprise drinking the herbal medicine within three weeks I got the changes and I was cure totally. I don't really know how it happen but there is power in Dr Akhigbe herbal medicine. He is a good herbalist doctor.

    ReplyDelete